Donnerstag, 22. August 2013

Rangiora High School - Term 2

Kia Ora!

Term 2 at Rangiora High School passed sooo quickly for me! :o
I've noticed that I got used to the school as if it was my German one, the one I've gone to for many years. The campus, the people, my timetable - everything became normal and another nice thing was saying "Hi!" to so many people now :) I feel really happy about that, I don't feel like a stranger anymore and when people greet me, I immediatly smile back. :D

This term I tried out another sport - dancing! I took part in a group of about 14 girls, half of us did contemporary dancing. In Germany I participate in a dance group as well, it is another style though, that made it very intersting and a really valuable experience for me to try out a different kind of dance! (: The girls in my group were real nice and we got in touch with each other quite quickly. Our group practised for a couple of weeks until we performed at Principal's Assembly. We were real excited about that - performing in front of the whole school, that's not a thing you do every day!
Fortunately everything passed well and it was so much fun :)) Our performance kind of made the group come closer together and I do appreciate that!
contemporary girls
the whole of our group - ballet and contemporary

As it got a bit colder in June and July (still not as cold as during German summer, only about 15°), pupils started to wear the winter uniform. Boys are still wearing shorts and a shirt with a jacket on top, whereas the girls' uniform changes into a kilt (a loooooong skirt), a white blouse and a jumper. 
When I saw the kilt for the first time I was quite shocked I have to admit - I had never seen anybody in Germany wearing something like that before and I wasn't used to this weight on my hips - the skirt is heavier thank you may think! :b
Despite that the winter uniform has got its adventures as well: You can wear your full sports gear underneath - sports trousers and a top. Very handy! :) Some people wear their pyjama trousers instead - nobody actually cares. :D By the way, nobody cares about your school bag either. In Germany everyone brings fancy handbags to school, here in New Zealand I see people with Micky Mouse backpacks, adidas bags, new and old ones, big and small ones. Everyone's bag looks different and that's what I like about it so much - they are all individual, but with the school uniform they're the same, that's the point where they are united.
Okay, let's come back to our uniform. :D Here it is:
Ines and me


Ines and I took some last ( :-( ) pictures in our summer uniform as well - dress, dark blue socks and black leather shoes:

This picture was taken on the schoolyard - on the left there's Gym 3 and in the back (the green buildings) Science class rooms.
Dramaaa xx - loving Rangiora's choice
of subjects
leaning against 'the big tree'

Finally, my last week at school was there - it had been coming up soooo much quicker than I had expected!! During my last few days I was - aside from paniking and crying - taking pictures with everyone to have heaps of memories of my friends when I'm back home :))
I'd like to introduce some of them to you -

Georgia, Laura and Kim in my maths class










Tayla, Laura and Molly from Easter Camp ;





sad that we had to say goodbye...
...but happy we had such a great time together and that we'll
keep in touch for sure! xx
Ines and Molly again (;


My PE class:











Drama buddies: 1st picture - Lauren, 2nd one - Becky, 3rd one - Jordan, Ivan, Becky













Drama class (unfortunately some people missing) - and the
absolutely coolest teacher!
Emma, Bex, Gracie


Sue Andersen, our international tutor - she was really nice and always helpful towards us!

Our internationals (:
I'll certainly miss our trips!!


...The best comes last! Bella, Jenna and Tyler - 3 of my closest friends at Rangiora High! :-)
Together with Louise and Tahlia (sadly not present on that day) they integrated me from the first day on and helped me through every difficulty I had, rooms I had to find, things to get used to, learn expressions I didn't know. They've accepted me just the way I am and I've loved them back the way they are. Those 5 girls are amazing and I can't thank them enough for what they did for me and how much support they gave me during these 6 months! We had an incredible time together that I'm sure I will always remember it - school and my Kiwi experience would have been half exciting without them. ♥



At the end I'd like to say THANK YOU to all the students from Rangiora High School who read this entry and who got to know my during my time overseas. I'm glad to have international friendships now and I'm keen on keeping contact, they've got a big value for me!
I also have to say that I've changed my mind concerning the subject school uniform: When I arrived there - I have to be honest - I didn't want to wear uniform because I didn't find it looked very fashionable ; but over the time I've realized that it creates a community between one and another. I'm not just saying this, this is true and it's simply the way I've experienced it: People are much more relaxed, they don't care about how you look like, which brand or colours you're wearing and they like you because of your character, your individual personality - you don't act like anybody else, you get to be yourself! And that's what it's about, and I am so glad I've learned this.

Love, Yoko ♥

5 Kommentare:

  1. Oh wie schön! Ich finds immer spannend sowas zu lesen, ich hab selbst meinen Schüleraustausch in Neuseeland gemacht, als ich 16 war :) Du kannst ja auch mal bei mir vorbeischauen :)

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Is your school strict on uniform? :-)

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. It is quite strict, yes. They pay attention that the boys' shirts are tucked in, the girls' shirts are not worn too short, etc. They're very nice teachers though!! I felt very comfortable going to school there :)

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Wow interesting :-) Do you also have any rules about make up, jewellery, hair? :-)

      Löschen
  4. Yes there are a few rules - "officially" you are not allowed to wear too much make up, no nail polish and only a watch, no other bracelets, and one pair of ear rings. The teachers are not too strict about that though, I've seen a few students being sent to the office because of jewellery or to remove their nail polish, but no one because of their make up ;)

    AntwortenLöschen